Thursday, August 5, 2010

Changes over time...

In 3rd grade, we teach the students about "changes over time". We discuss how Pioneers lived and compare it to our lives these days. The changes are amazing if we really take the time to reflect on them. The students really get a lot out of this unit.

Anyway, I digress...

Today mom and I completed a workout tape made back in the 1980's. You know... with a bunch of barbie girls sporting their skimpy black leotards and dancing to all the popular 80's hits; very reminiscent of those 80's music videos. My point is, it was about 38 minutes long, and not nearly as intense as today's workout videos, like Jillian's and Bob's. It's amazing how much the exercise requirements and intensity expectations have risen in just as little as 20 years. Back then, you got a workout if you just had a little "glow" of sweat. Now, you pretty much have to be dying and sweating buckets after an hour of intense cardio/strength training in order to feel like you've really gotten something out of it. Why is that? Is it because our world has become so unhealthy? Is it because of the rise in the fast food and soda industries? Is it because of our obesity epidemic? Who knows. Another example in changes over time..? Doesn't quite seem fair, does it? Any thoughts?

Another fact about me that some of you may not know is that I love to sing in choir. I feel like I am right in my element when I'm singing in an ensemble. I can sing both soprano and alto, although my favorite is second soprano. While some people struggle to learn a new piece of music, I can pretty much read through it the first time and already know it. (This is before all of the musical embellishments and notations are added by whomever directs the choir.) If I could describe an example of a perfect day, sightreading music I've never seen before would have to be included. This is one of the few things that comes naturally to me and one of the few areas where I have a lot of leadership potential. If only this confidence could spill over into other aspects of my life, then I'd be all set!

Yesterday Big Brother came on! It comes on tonight, too! I wonder who will be evicted. I know who I want to leave, but I don't think it'll happen.

Have a great day! Hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment